Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Planting a Tree

I planted two saplings today. We had a plantation drive in our office and it took not more than twenty minutes. All we had to do was, be there, pick a sapling, remove its plastic cover, dig a hole, place the sapling inside, cover the hole with mud and make sure the sapling is watered.
The saplings were already kept there and a few holes were even dug. The office gardeners were already present to water the plants. All that was left was a will.

I mean trees give us oxygen and these particular trees that we were planting were all medicinal plants. They give us a lot more than just oxygen. In return, it just took twenty minutes of my time to plant them. Probably for five minutes for the next couple of days, I would go and check on them. Give them some water in the morning. And its not like that they would complain if i forgot. They would never complain. Even if i ignored them, they would continue to give me life, selflessly.

When I asked a few colleagues of mine to come, they were all worried that it is very hot. They would get a sun stroke... their makeup would ruin, hair might whither... I mean it was just for ten minutes.
Aren't those plants out whole day? I don't see even one of them saying that it is hot today, so no oxygen. They take so much care of ours and we choose to ignore them. The sun that we are fearing, is the same sun whose energy they transform into the food that we eat. The heat that we want to avoid is the same heat which burns them every second of the day.
Sometimes I think the news people should also report how many plants burned due to the heat. Human count won't matter in front of that count.

We were to plant one sapling. They say that a little contribution from every person is sufficient... but I am a human. Someday, I too will be selfish and will forget about them. But then one sapling won't be alone. They will be there for each other. They will support each other. Unlike us humans, they won't do anything for a selfie or an image on instagram. They won't boost about it on Twitter or gather likes on Facebook. They both will stand there, stand high, no matter which season or how hard the circumstance and support each other and support me.

I am already proud of my two little babies.

No comments:

A little drama is required

Being an Indian, I can totally bet that you can just never get enough of drama. You may hate it yet you can’t escape it. I think that w...