Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Harry Potter Questions :: Why are muggle born underage witches and wizards allowed to do magic?

Why isnt there any magic supervision for the muggle-born children?
I just thought of all the fuss everyone makes when Dobby performs the Hover Charm in Harry's house and when Harry performs the patronus. I also remember Dumbledore telling Harry how magic is NOT detected by underage wizards if an adult wizard is around.


However, to read an excerpt from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone -
"Are you sure that's a real spell? said the girl. 'Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard - I'e learnt all our set of books off by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough - I', Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"
[I really enjoyed typing the above. It was like Hermione was speaking all this rather slowly as I typed it away.]


Well, in the second monologue that our Hermy every delivers, she clearly mentions two things -
Firstly, she tried a few spells and THEY ALL WORKED.
Secondly, no one in her family is magic, that is, there are no witches or wizards in her family.


Hence, now, I would like to know - why is Hermione allowed to do magic?

Considering the statute of secrecy (or whatever the Ministry has made of it), I really believe that magic done by a muggle born, unsupervised, is way more dangerous.

Take for instance, the Weasley twins - I am pretty sure that they have done underage magic many times. Yet, having seen their elder brothers, parents and other relatives do it so often, I am sure even if they did it all by themselves, they were less a threat to the world as a muggle born who was doing something no one around them knew of. Further, since Fred and George come from total wizarding family, surrounded by other wizards, even if they perform magic outside their houses, no one is going to look astounded. On the other hand, if Hermione performs magic inside her house, her dentist parents will look.

May have been the case that I might have missed something, but I would just want the Ministry of Magic to look into this matter seriously (not that we are not accustomed to carelessness on their part).

No comments:

A little drama is required

Being an Indian, I can totally bet that you can just never get enough of drama. You may hate it yet you can’t escape it. I think that w...